The authentic Focaccia di Recco with cheese
This authentic Ligurian recipe, the Focaccia with cheese, is a specialty of Recco that young and old love a lot.
Its history dates back to the third Crusade, when the farmers of Recco were obliged to seek refuge in the hinterland and had only available water, bran flour, oil and cheese. They created this delicious recipe and since then it became part of the local and gastronomic heritage. In the 1997, the brand “Authentic Focaccia with Cheese of Recco” was created and since 1955, in Recco, the “Festa della Focaccia” is celebrated every year during the last week of May.
Are you interested in its recipe? It’s so easy to make, so come on, read on and follow the instructions!
Ingredients for the dough :
- 400g Manitoba Flour
- 250ml Water
- 10g Salt
- 40ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Ingredients for the filling:
- 30ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 10g Salt
- 500g Stracchino
- Mix water (at room temperature) and oil in a carafe and melt the salt.
- Start to knead the ingredients and add 1 spoon of flour at a time.
- Continue to knead until you obtain a smooth and elastic dough.
- Move the dough on a work surface area slightly oiled and form a rectangular portion. Then wrap it and leave it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Grease with oil a 35x25cm baking tray.
- Take the dough and divide it in two parts. Stretch out one part with a rolling pin until you form a puff pastry of 2mm. Transfer it on the baking tray and stretch very well every corners and sides.
- Put some pieces of stracchino, slightly distant from each other, with the help of a spoon.
- Stretch the other piece of dough and lay it down on the baking tray covering the cheese.
- Remove the extra dough and pinch the edges with the fingers.
- Distribute the oil and the salt on the surface.
- Cook your Focaccia in a static oven at 250° for 15 minutes or in a ventilated oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve the Focaccia hot and savour how delicious it is.
ATTENTION: It is not advisable to conserve the focaccia in the frizer.
Don’t miss the chance to taste the original one during our Milan Street Art and Food Tour. You are gonna love it! Book now with us! We are waiting for you in Milan.