Commonly and simply called Cacio e Pepe, this is a pasta dish typical of the Roman cuisine. In this simple dish you can find the majesty of Rome but at the same time a city which doesn’t forget the simplicity of its districts. As its name suggests, the ingredients are very simple and include only black pepper, Roman pecorino cheese and pasta.
Numerous are the versions, original or revisited, that you can find in the city but each of them have one thing in common: they are the best you can eat once in Rome.
How to recreate the recipe at home?
Follow this simple steps:
- 320g spaghetti
- Q.s. black pepper in grains
- 200gr Roman pecorino cheese (to grate)
- Q.s. salt
- First of all, grate the pecorino cheese and then boil water in a saucepan and finally add salt to it as much as you want. Now you can cook the spaghetti.
- In the meantime, put the black pepper on a cutting board and squach them with a pestle or a grinder. In this way, the pepper emanate more its aroma.
- Pour half of the black pepper into a nonstick and wide pan, toast them at low heat while kniding them, then blend with some of the cooking water used for the pasta.
- Drip the spaghetti (keep aside the cooking water used), pour them into the pan and continue the cooking with the seasoning.
- Move them continuously with pliers and add some water if needed to proceed with the cooking of the pasta.
- While the pasta is finishing its cooking, pour half of the pecorino cheese in a bowl and add a wooden spoon of cooking water to the bowl.
- Knid energetically with a whip. Add the remaining cheese, keeping a little part for the final seasoning.
- If needed add some water in order to obtain a cream with the right consistency and without clumps.
- Turn off the flame of the pan with pasta and pour the cheese cream while kniding continuously the spaghetti. Pour also the remaining cheese.
- Now serve the spaghetti cacio e pepe and savour it with all its cream.
Suggestion: it is suggested to consume the dish immediately and avoid any type of conservation.
If you are pasta lover, you can’t miss to taste it at least once. This is the perfect occasion for you: join the Afternoon Food Tour with Beer Tasting in Rome!