The half-moon pizza: Panzerotto
Characteristic of the central and southern regions of Italy, the Panzerotto is a circle of stuffed dough, closed on itself to form a half moon. The panzerotto was born from the poorest Apulian culinary tradition: people used what remained from bread’s dough and cooked it with pieces of cheese and tomatos. Prepared with the same dough of the pizza, the typical panzerotto is filled with tomatos and mozzarella. It can be cooked into oven or fried in extra virgin olive oil. To fully savour the product, the panzerotto should be eaten hot.
Did the panzerotto hit your curiosity? Read on to know how to make it!
Here’s the ingredients:
- 500gr flour
- 300ml lukewarm milk
- 25gr butter
- 12gr fresh beer yeast
- 5gr salt
- 1tsp sugar
For the filling:
- 150gr tomato flesh
- 250gr mozzarella
- Oregano q.s.
- Basil q.s.
- Salt q.s.
- Oil q.s.
- Mix well flour and butter. It’s possible to substitute butter with 2tbs of oil.
- Melt well the yeast with the lukewarm milk and add it a bit at a time into the flour’s mixture, add sugar and lastly the salt.
- Form a compact and elastic block. Set it aside and let it rise for about two hours in a hot place.
- While the mixture rises, prepare the filling: in a bowl mix tomato, basil, oregano, oil, salt and mozzarella cut in cubes.
- Once the dough has redoubled its volume, transfer on a wooden pastry board and stretch it well with the help of some flour. Try to obtain a puff pastry of about 6-7mm (not too much thin).
- Using a 10-12cm bowl form some circles. Stretch again the remaining dough and create other circles.
- In the centre of every pieces, put some filling. Pour the edges with some water and close it using the fingers and make the form of a half moon. Seal them well using the fingers or a fork.
- Heat up the oil in a pot or a pan and fry all of the panzerotto until they become gold on both sides. If you want to use the oven, cover the panzerotto with egg yolk and cook them in ventilated oven at 180° or static oven at 190° for 20-25minutes.
If you are coming to Italy, you can’t leave the country without trying the original panzerotto! Join the Afternoon Food Tour with Beer Tasting in Milan and prepare your palate for this delicacy!